Sunday, August 19, 2007

Make it An Adventure

Before I went to bed last night I fed Gabi to tie her over as long as possible (typically still 6 hour stretch at night) and I got to thinking about different things happening to people that I know and people that I 'know' (know what I mean?!)... people like Rosanna. Most of you probably have heard of her story... well, see this is where it begins, my thought process. One moment they are all driving to Alberta to a wedding (hope these details are right)... probably singing in the car, chatting along the way, sleeping a bit too (the 3 passengers that is) and then the next moment there is a fatal accident involving their vehicle. Rosanna has lost her husband, Nate, just like that. I just read her blog and I cry. I can't even begin to imagine being in her shoes. Rosanna, if somehow you come across this, you are one strong Woman. Not only a Woman, but a Woman of GOD. (I am crying now) I feel for you girl. I pray for you Rosanna. *deep breath*
Okay, where was I going with this? I had a post all figured out last night before hitting my pillow, now I can't seem to remember what my point is... sorry. Bear with me for a second.
Next my thoughts went out to Korinne and Mercy. Mercy took a tumble out of her bedroom window (2nd floor) on Friday... and you know I just can't help but put myself in Korinne's shoes and ask all those "what if" questions as well. Not to scare you or whatever, Korinne, I just think that by what you've written on your blog about this event, I would have felt and actually have had the same thought processes as you. I am sorry you've had to go through this. As if you 'needed' this to happen (who does?) right now, let alone ever. We are praying for you and for your little Princess Mercy. And we are very grateful of the outcome...
We have to cherish every moment. I try to, except when I am fighting with my strong-minded-almost-4-year-old. ;) We just don't know what lies around that corner or around that next hour. I know, I know, I am not living in fear or in the questions of "what if" all the time... I totally am not, but situations that happen to people you know make you think. Make you go "are you serious, that happened? To her? But things like that don't happen to people I know and people I care about. Or do they?" It makes you grateful for life, for children, for husbands and for our Families. Or me, at least.
Maybe I wanted to write this little post just to make you think... make me realize that life is short. And even when I am dealing with not-so-fun parent/child situations, I need to just remember that even my children have their days numbered and don't know how long that will be or what God already has planned... I hope that I will get to raise them to grown adults and see them accomplish goals/schooling, maybe get married, have children... but that's not what it's about. It's about the here and now. It's about showing them the Way to Jesus. Take this as a reminder... cherish them. Cherish the sibling squabbles. Cherish the diaper changes, the potty training, the homework, the running around from place to place shuttling children.... Cherish your husband or wife if you have one. CHERISH. Make your life motto what ours is "it's an adventure"... and we love it! Let's see what this week's adventures will be... Bring It On!

*Edit: I'm not sure this is what I wanted to say or not. But I feel that I will post it none the less. Maybe it will speak to you, maybe you can't see a point in this post... whatever, it doesn't matter... I just wrote what was on my heart and if more comes to me I'll share again. Thanks! :)

***EDIT #2: Jamie just emailed me with sad news of someone she knows in Ontario. This couple has lost their babe... and it's a perfect example, again, of cherishing every moment, even 10 hours of a Baby's life and that's it. Click here to read this Mother's post.

2 comments:

Korinne Tjepkema said...

Thank you so much for your reminder, Jen. I can promise I have spent many hours these past few days CHERISHING every dirty diaper, every whine coming from the couch, and every slobbery attempt at a kiss. I feel so privileged to know such a sweet little girl and I am reminded of how precious life really is. I am sure your words will remind anyone reading them to appreciate what they've got right now. They certainly brought tears to my eyes as I read them. Thanks so much...
Korinne (and the rest of us!)

Laurie said...

Thank you Jen! Very very much!!!