Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Asparagus and Ham Pasta

I have spent a bit of time on the weekend blog-surfing the many (400 participate, I didn't look at even 10 of them b/c it's too time consuming!) Participants in the Menu Plan Monday 'hosted' by Laura at Organizing Junkie blog! It's quite interesting to read some of the 400 participants that post their menu plan for the week on Mondays... you can get some good ideas!I did copy and paste some of the recipes I saw... including this recipe!
It included asparagus - which we love - and ham - which I happened to take some leftover from my Parent's house from Sunday's Easter Dinner... put the two together and add in some pasta (I used Organic Orzo that Jason brought home from work)... it was a delicious dinner tonight!! :)

Here's the recipe, which I found on Joy In My Kitchen's blog. I had added her blog as a link in my sidebar on the weekend as a good place to go for recipes. :)

8oz whole wheat pasta (I used 1 cup Orzo)
1/2 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 T water
3-6oz precooked ham, cut into cubes (use as much/little ham as you'd like - or use whatever meat you like!)
1 C light whipping cream (I had in my mind that it was written "light cream" so I bought Half & Half which is "light cream", not whipping cream)
1/4-1/2 C shredded Parmesan cheese (I didn't have fresh parm. but the "bottled" worked great too)
salt and pepper, dash
garlic (optional)

Boil pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place asparagus and 3 T water in a microwave-safe dish and steam for 2-3 minutes until asparagus is slightly tender. In a 10-inch skillet, saute mushrooms, and cubed ham until mushrooms are cooked. Add steamed asparagus and cook until desired tenderness is reached.

Drain pasta, and add pasta to veggie/ham mixture. Pour whipping cream over the pasta and veggies, and simmer to allow whipping cream to thicken. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder, if desired.

Remove from heat, and add Parmesan cheese. Stir in to allow cheese to melt. Serve warm and enjoy!

As for meal planning Monday - I didn't actually participate but I did try to get a good menu plan for the week. :)

1 comment:

Lucy Marie said...

I love love LOVE Finding Joy in my Kitchen. I usually have at least one or more of her recipes featured on my weekly menu! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

By the way, the giveaway is now open!