So my good friend, Pamela, is a YWAMer in Wyoming. She sent me an email today that I want to share with you... I am just so proud of her!!! (click her name to see what else she is up to... Pakistan Missions she just returned home to...)
"Sunday (October 8) I went up to hunting camp (three hrs on horseback - 10,000ft). On the way up near hunting camp we spotted a herd of elk. Once we arrived at camp (2pm) one of the guys stayed back (he didn’t have a tag) to set up while Brett and I took off after the elk. We couldn’t see them as we looked in the area we thought they went. On the tree line we saw an older 5 point (5X5) elk grazing. We were across the draw(ravine) so the shot was a little far for me. We snuck/slid (this summer the area we usually hunt burnt up so the ash and moisture made it slippery) down the mountain and up the other side in hopes of sneaking up on him. Once we got to the place he should have been, he was gone. We heard him going down hill into the timber. Looking through the timber and burnt trees we saw the herd moving away from us. Clouds were starting to come in so visibility was low, but we moved up around the mountain to cut them off. Soon after they spooked and started to go up hill. We kept going up hill to try to cut them off before they went over the next ridge. I was getting discouraged because I thought we wouldn’t be able to cut them off. I kept going and when we got in view of the ridge, there they were! Brett glassed to see which was the biggest one and found a small five point. He was grazing and slowly moving up to the ridge line when I got him in my scope. I was about 100-150 yards away with low visibility. I wasn’t breathing hard, just extremely excited that I was in a position to shoot my first elk! I didn’t have anything to prop my gun on, so I put my elbows on my knees trying my best to steady the gun and pulled the trigger. He went down but I got him in the gut so he got up again. Brett was congratulating me on shooting my first elk, meanwhile it’s taking off. I shot him again this time in the shoulder. He went down then got up again and limped to the ridge line where he died (around 5pm).
I’m blessed to be able to shoot him on the first day! I had a hand (two hands actually) in gutting him and have some gory details if you really want them! I can even show you pictures, but those are upon request!! We went up the next day (in the snow) to quarter him and bring him down to camp.
I have included pictures of the burn area, hunting camp, me (I know you Canadians like my orange hat) and my elk!! You’re welcome to come over and have some steaks with me!"
Here she is with her elk! Congratulations Pamela!
and with her group of fellow-hunters; she looks like a natural with that weapon, eh?
Alexa is going hunting too this coming week... we shall see what she has to tell us about her time out in the bushes with Andy, her hubby, and her FIL (Father-in-Law)!!
No comments:
Post a Comment