Friday, June 20, 2008

Our Venture Out

Last weekend we made a last minute decision (based on weather) to head over to the Island for 3 days of beautiful pure fun! (this particular route is on sale until the end of June, making it really affordable or at least justification to spend the money to cross over!) It happened to be Jason's birthday weekend and Father's Day - so it was well timed. This area has been known as the Island's Riviera - the ocean water was warm! I was completely shocked and delighted! We stayed in a camper-cabin (like a cabin at a Children's camp, I guess) that slept 8 - that was the tricky part in finding a place to stay was housing all 7 of us for a reasonable price. This was perfect...and cheap! Here's some photos:
Our Family on this great contraption (wonder who took the time to put it together?we walked to a Nature House where there were questions and information about sea life, other animal facts and stuffed animals... tree frogs...this is a stuffed squirrelthis RV Resort had a games room with movie night, trampolines, swings, zip line... this is the girls first time on a trampoline, they loved it!mmm, pancake breakfast on Father's Day - a deer came through and unfortunately May missed it, she is crazy about deer. She even missed the other 3 we saw on our drives toothat afternoon we drove out to a few sightseeing places, and this marsh was one of them; it's a bird sanctuary - which of course is hit or miss and we unfortunately didn't see any birds but the area was just beautiful - Happy Father's Day, Daddy!then we went to some caves that you can access - Jason took turns taking in the boys and the girls had a turn to go in... it was very dark and could be dangerous - I couldn't believe the cold air coming out of the cave opening. Very coolroasting marshmallowsand on Monday, our last day, we went to 'the market with goats on the roof' - such a fun storelast stop before the Ferry, one more time to beachcomb and wow, this was a great pick. In my life I have found less than 5 sand dollars that were perfect (not broken)... well, this was sand dollar heaven... we found baby ones, black ones, you name it- it was wonderful! I love sand dollars and I think the rest of the family found a love for them too that afternoon! Here is a baby starfish Jason found and a crab May is holdingmore pictures to follow in the next post:

4 comments:

Bryan and Jamie and family said...

Great family picture. Did you have a weiner roast?

Beachcombing - wasn't even sure what that was but I am guessing walking along the beach to see what you can find. What are sand dollars? I need to come out there & see for myself.

Laurie said...

What a wonderful father's day weekend! LOVELY looking!!!!! Glad you were able to work it out!

christy said...

how long did it take there and how much was the cost if i might ask? would you go there again?

Jen S. said...

Hi Christy!
oh yes, we'd go there again! Probably next year if this sailing goes on sale again - it was almost 50% off I think... just check out BC Ferries online for pricing.
It took us an hour to get to ferry, then 2 hours on the ferry, then it's maybe 45 minutes or so past the ferry...