Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Wint-o-Green Snowflakes

Just a quick post since I have been quite busy the past week with moving, unpacking, mothering and extra children in my home yesterday and today! I want to show you what we've been up to, but not yet... and maybe not til next week since this week yet I am heading away with Alexa for Black Friday Shopping!!! :)

Today we made these Lifesaver Snowflakes. (this morning before we got into making the craft, Sammy knew we were going to be making a craft. He asked me three different times, "when are we making the hover-craft?" I didn't here the first part of the question the first time but did hear 'hovercraft' which caught my attention because I thought it was funny he knew about hovercrafts... then I caught it the 2nd and maybe third time and realized he was calling our craft a hovercraft! LOL. Too cute!)
Here is Luke, first painting some tongue depressors white:Sammy finally getting to do his hovercraft!
I found the idea on Perpetual Preschool. We did two batches of the craft today - this morning with Luke and Sammy and then this evening with Travis, Bradley, Elijah and Sammy did it again too. (Travis and Bradley's Mom, Miriam is a good friend of mine - she is on her honeymoon this week! Yea! So between her Family and some of her friends, we are taking turns watching the boys!) I think they are quite pretty and they smell nice too -- the kids enjoyed eating the ones that came broken too!I was hoping to find a package of regular lifesavers in a roll, small ones, but only came across a pack of these ones... it took 2.5 packs of them b/c I used tongue depressors and not just popsicle sticks...but that's okay!

3 comments:

annette said...

you always do such fun crafts with your kids. This one looks like a good one for kallista!

christy said...

oooo I like this craft idea jen, not sure how many candies would make it on janae's snowflake though!haha. did you hot glue the tongue depressers first?

Jen S. said...

Thanks Girls! :) Good to hear from you both!
Yes, I hot glued the tongue depressors first... then the kids painted them white, and sprinkled on some glitter. then we used white glue to stick the candies on BUT that didn't work so great... so we used hot glue. Using hot glue doesn't make this so much an open ended project for your child b/c they can't help (or if they do they get burnt like Sammy - just a teeny bit of that hot glue on his finger or on mine just kills)... but they are pretty! Oh and then I got them to "paint" each lifesave with a bit of white glue so we could sprinkle glitter on the candy too.