Ok, everyone out there... I want representation from the Province or State you live in... I have been emailing back and forth with 2 girlfriends, both from Saskatchewan (one Northern and one on the border of Alberta) about mealtime names.
Ok, so the girlfriend in the Northern part of Saskatchewan starts talking about making dinner...blah, blah, blah. Fine, but what she was meaning was at LUNCH time. Then she started talking about making LUNCH for an evening Home Party she was hosting on the weekend. I was so confused... we all got quite a kick out of our differences in what we call each meal and what each meal really means! Unreal, we are all from Canada and still 'talk' differently.
So what do you call each meal of the day? I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU and these 2 girlfriends do too (Jamie and Laurie).
In Northern Saskatchewan, they call it Breakfast, Dinner and Supper. And for like a Tupperware Party or such they serve a 'lunch'. :) Yet where Laurie lives on the border of Alberta, she calls it what I do: Breakfast, Lunch and Supper or Dinner. And lunch for her and for I doesn't ever refer to some snacks at a Home Party!! ;)
TELL US PLEASE!! AND ALSO LEAVE WHICH PART OF THE COUNTRY YOU ARE FROM!
Thanks, I hope to hear from LOTS of you!
18 comments:
Yes, please do tell us! I have been meaning to do a survey....but we'll see how Jen's turns out. :) I don't hardly ever use the term dinner. Breakfast, Lunch and Supper. Asked my hubby he said the same.
Ok, well for me, it's breakfast, lunch, and supper, but occasionally dinner will slip out of my mouth when referring to supper... As for my Michigan born hubby, he says Breakfast, lunch/dinner, supper/dinner. Dinner can be used for both Lunch and supper. I'm excited to see the results of this survey!
I have to admit, ever since this conversation I have found myself saying "dinner" lots or for sure writing it out in an email when talking about supper. I think I say dinner more than I thought. But for sure, it's supper definitely!
Thanks for your comments so far, Laurie and Maureen/Mark!
Where I come from in western BC (north and south coast) it's breakfast, lunch (dinner if it's on a special occassion or holiday or sometimes on Sunday) and supper.
And for a home party - it's appies!
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. I don't think I ever say supper... i guess I'll have to see. And Lunch is definetely LUNCH not a snack. I guess us "west coasters" (laurie that includes you) have a different view on Lunch than you Jamie?
I was always told that in BC you only use the term dinner instead of supper. I asked around & everyone has gave me the same response...B'fast, dinner, supper. And that's not just from us Nipawinners.
Jamie.
i'm kinda with rach- normally it's breakfast lunch and supper- but lunch or supper can become dinner if it's a special meal...
wow-30 years! that's so exciting for your parents to go off to hawaii to celebrate!! i saw your mom @ costco yesterday but didn't say hi cause i don't know if she'd remember me.
have a great day jen!
Breakfast, lunch and supper/dinner. I get cofused when people talk about "dinner" as the noon meal.
Congrats to your parents!
And I love it that you have a grad class blog... might have to copy that idea :)
Great blog, Jen, thanks for sharing!
Sarah
Teresa... thanks for the comment! And btw, my Mom would remember you, next time say hi!
Jamie: seeing so far what "my readers" are saying!
"And the survery says..."
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner... or is it supper??? No, I'm sure I use "dinner" more than "supper" - except maybe when someone I'm talking to calls it supper. I never call lunch dinner, even on special occaisions. But my aunt and uncle in AB call it breakfast, dinner and supper. ;P
Yes I see what they are saying but they are BC people. All the people I checked with said B'fast, dinner, supper. So I'll keep asking. What do your American relatives call it?
Jamie
i usually call it breakfast, lunch and dinner/supper.
Paul Cooper (Jenn's other brother)
I'm born and raised Canadian (BC) and I call it Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner/Supper. I've been living in Wyoming for the last six years and they refer to lunch as dinner and at times I get confused. Ah well.
~ Pamela
Here in Ontario it is Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. I don't think anyone calls it supper. I said that for a while when I first moved here, but ever since then, I've been assimilated to the ways of Southwestern Ontario. *sigh* I never thought that would happen.
Thanks everyone, it's so good to hear from you about such a "silly" thing as meal titles!
there you go, Jamie, an Ontario-resident has spoken up! Thanks Peter! (thanks for commenting! and reading!)
Paul, good to finally get a comment from you!
Pamela - an American view for you, Jamie! Thanks for taking the time, Pam.
And to everyone else, thanks for the comments! If you'd still like to participate, please do!
I live in southeastern Manitoba, and I always call it breakfast, lunch and supper, unless we're going to a restaurant to eat, and then I'll call it dinner instead of supper.
Thanks for the comment on my blog! Yeah, I found your site from Laurie's, I went to high school with her. Your boys are adorable! Looks like a fun halloween too!
Take care!
Selena
Upon further reflection, we call our evening meal "dinner" more than supper. And like Selena (gotta check out that blast from the past!), it's always dinner if we're at a restaurant.
Post a Comment